Crowded or misaligned teeth are harder to care for and can increase the change of trapped food particles, leading to tooth decay.
Orthodontic Treatment for Teens
Between the ages of 12 to 14, most of a child’s permanent teeth have fully erupted, revealing issues such as unsightly gaps or crowding, protruding teeth, jaw misalignment and malocclusion.
Teens are naturally concerned about their smile, especially as they move towards greater independence and begin to establish their own identity and goals. The right orthodontic care can impact your child’s self-esteem and overall health. Crowded or misaligned teeth are also harder to care for and can increase the chance of trapped food particles, leading to tooth decay. Believe it or not, but crowded teeth also carry a greater risk for gum disease later in life.
A properly aligned smile offers benefits such as:
- Lower risk of cracking and chipping
- Easier to clean and care for, reducing cavities and the chance of gum disease
- Increased nutrition by being able to eat and properly chew healthy foods and whole foods
- Increase tooth retention by reducing chewing stress on teeth
- Less chance of serious bone loss
- Decreased incidence of headaches and jaw pain caused by TMJ